Wednesday 1 May 2013

Recipe: Jamie Oliver in the house...Clammmmm

It's been a while since I had coffee with Jamie. Having a new baby in the house, spare time is hard to come by and almost impossible at times.

Today is a special day because I know for certain my little bubba whom I lovingly call Mera Lal is going to take a long nap.

With fresh clams in the fridge and time on my hands, I turned to my fair-haired Naked Chef. Holding him firm, I slowly espy at him, searching for an answer. Luckily for me, he had what I wanted so today I'm making spaghetti-vongole.

The process:

Time-management is not my forte. I always spend way too much time planning for a plan, but today is special. I took my time and enjoyed my coffee. I even managed to clean the clams and made sure I had everything I need for this dish.

The ingredients:


1kg fresh clam, it needs to be thoroughly brushed and then soaked in a bowl of water with corn starch. Leave it in the refrigerator.



4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 small onion, diced
    10 cherry tomatoes
    150 ml cream
    400 g dried spaghetti
    sea salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    extra virgin olive oil
    1 tbs basil (dried herbs)


It is very quick and easy to prepare this dish, warranted that you have all the ingredients ready. As the kids were merrily showering after their school and my Lal ensconced in front of my babysitter (TV), I whipped up this dish with no trouble at all. I started off by boiling the pasta in a large pot of salted water. In another large pan, fry the onions and garlic in olive oil till fragrant. Add the clams and let it simmer in the pot, with the lid on for 5-10 minutes. Discard any unopened clams and add all other ingredients. Cook for another couple of minutes and add the pasta to the pot, mix well and serve immediately. It took me approximately 20 minutes, including washing up too.

It was a hearty meal which we all enjoyed, even my Lal approved of it and had more than she usually does.

Today is a special day.

I even managed to prepare some fresh fruit juice too. My fridge has been well stocked ever since I joined a local Raw Eat group. I ventured further and took part in their group buys (GB). Oh what pleasure, discovering this group. Nowadays, my kids look forward to eating fruits. Even my husband and I feel the same.
These fruits are so much juicier and fresher than the ones I have been buying from my local fruiterer.

They look forward to these fruit juices which I would pack into tiny bottles for them to consume on their way back home from school. So far, the only vegetable they allowed me to juice is the carrot.
My spinach, beet root, carrot, apple, orange and lime concoction was not a big hit with the girls but daddy, tayi ji, taya ji and my Lal seemed to enjoy it.
Looks like I've got to find new recipes to introduce more vegetables in my juice.


Scrap the coffee. It's time for some juice!




Lets get connected:

Now you can follow me by email (fill email address here) to get new post notifications delivered directly into your mailbox or you could follow my Facebook page Life Simplified to get more recipes and tips in making life a little more laid back or we can connect via twitter.


Thank you for stopping by at A cuppa for my thoughts  

4 comments:

  1. Awww...enjoyed reading your post as always...after cycling against the wind on my way back from work, I deserve to put my legs up on the sofa in the corner of my fav spot and give uour post some attention. ...some loveeeeeee ♡

    Those juices looked very tempting :-D

    Keep posting ★

    PS oooo Jamie Oliver is my fav chef too..hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Were you cycling in your new red shoes?

      Delete
  2. You bet baby!! Wore black jeans, red top n red shoes

    Wink. ..x

    ReplyDelete